Welcome to Lake Minnewawa Association
2014 Business Sponsors
Christian Realty North
Federated Co-ops, Inc
Fireside Inn Restaurant
Horseshoe Lake Inn
Lake Restoration Inc
McGregor Realty & Property Management
NAPA -- Northland Auto Parts
Savannah Ridge Community
Ukura's Big Dollar Store
Willey's Sport Shop & Spirits
Minnewawa Sportsmen's Club
Tamarack Sno Flyers
Thank you for your support this year!
The purpose of the lake Minnewawa Association is to promote lake stewardship by providing education and services about controlling pollution, beautification, water safety and clear passage. In general, it is dedicated to maintaining and improving the natural resources of Lake Minnewawa by educating, creating, promoting and implementing methods of improving and preserving the overall condition of the lake.
Be sure and see a note from the Minnesota DNR on our A.I.S. News page and learn what you can do this year as you close up your cabin to help us protect Lake Minnewawa.
A Note from the President
While driving to the cabin last weekend, my husband and I were amazed at how quickly the trees were changing from summer green to the beautiful reds, oranges and yellows that signal that fall is once again closing in on us. The changing of the leaves remind us that it is time to get the cabin ready for winter. Some of us will be putting away the boats, pulling out the docks and closing the cabin up until next spring. Others will be putting away boats and docks, and getting snowmobiles ready to hit the trails as soon as the snow flies.
I thought this would be a good time to look back at the summer of 2014. The Lake Minnewawa Association had a busy summer:
1. The weed harvester is at rest for the season. John and Lyle put in many hours this summer keeping the weeds under control so we could enjoy the lake. I would like to thank them for all of their work.
2. Fulfilling our "Adopt a Highway" duties, the LMA once again combed the ditches on County Road 6, picking up garbage. Many of you volunteered and the nasty job was completed quickly. All of the volunteers were treated to lunch by Bann's! Thank you Chris and Lisa.
3. We are now represented at the monthly ACLARA (Aitkin County Rivers and Lakes Association) meetings. Thank you Barb Bass.
4. LMA is working with the LMLID board to ensure the health of Lake Minnewawa. We had a AIS study done in August and are pleased to report no invasive species are in our lake at this time. It is important to stay on top of this. Many lakes in Minnesota are waging a war against AIS and it is a tough one to win.
5. The first AIS inspections were done this summer at the access across from Growlers. I can not say enough about how important this project is in protecting our lake from invasive species! The team headed by Barb & Bob Bass and Dave Warwick are doing a fantastic job. Many thanks to you three leaders. You took on this project and swiftly made the inspections become a reality!
6. The LMA BBQ fundraiser was a huge success again this year! What a day! A perfect time to visit with friends from the lake and an opportunity to meet some new ones. This day has really become quite a social event as well as a successful way to raise funds for the lake association. Thank you to all of the board members, their families and all of you that volunteer at the BBQ!
7. Several lakeshore restoration projects were completed on our lake this year. These projects range from planting rain gardens and implementing no mow zones, to redirecting runoff. Thanks to Beverly Rath for working with the LMA and BSALWMP to orchestrate these projects.
8. The LMA is represented at the Wild Rice Days in McGregor. An informational booth was set up and staffed at the parade. People could ask questions about the LMA and receive information about our organization. Thank you Jerry Bass.
9. Walleye stocking. The DNR and the LMA are working together to bring the walleye population back up. Thanks to Greg Pfeifer for all of the work he has done to make this project happen.
So many things happening! So many opportunities to become involved! So many ways to support the Lake Minnewawa Association! Look over the list, I am sure you could think of many other things that could be done. Look inside your heart and take the step to volunteer or become an LMA board member. The LMA is counting on you!
Lake Minnewawa Association President